Thursday 1 September 2011

Crocheted Wine Glass Covers

I must confess that I've had a thing for tea sets ever since my mum bought me 4x Royal Albert "Old Country Roses" tea cups. Having collected the actual tea set pieces, the one thing that has been missing is some good old fashioned jug covers for my milk jug and the jam & cream bowls.

So one of my aunties happened to have not one, but two books about crocheted jug covers and was able to point me in the direction of her local craft store, which was closing down and where I was able to purchase my own copies at 40% off! Yay!

Anyway, initially I didn't have any beads so I tried out the doily version of the jug cover that I really liked. It turned out quite nicely if I do say so myself (I haven't starched it yet). In the mean time I'd had this idea that instead of buying my girlfriends Christmas presents this year, I'd make them each a jug cover that they could use as a beaded doily or whatever they wanted. Then Spotlight had a 30% off everything sale, including their clearance items and I managed to pick up some beads that I liked, mostly for my girlfriends.. and at one of our regular Tuesday craft mornings I mentioned to one of my girlfriends that I'd bought some beads but wasn't sure which pattern to try so she helped me pick one out (haha, little does she know that it will be coming her way!) and I got started on it when I got home. I'm *finally* up to the final row, so it should be finished tonight.

The jug cover with 2 rows left to go..
Meanwhile, yesterday we made pasta (which I blogged about on our co-op blog Needles in the Haystack) and I took along my crochet bag (as you do!) and was showing the girls how it was shaping up when one of my non-crafty girlfriends, Nat passed comment that she needed one as a wine glass cover to keep the midgies out of her wine in summer! We all had a bit of a giggle about that (especially the part about her having any wine left for the midgies to land in!) but the girls suggested that if I marketed them as wine glass covers instead of jug covers that they'd walk out the door. Nat picked out a pattern and put her order in, so I guess if she product tests it successfully then (once I've finished all the Christmas present ones that the girls didn't know about) I can look at whipping some up and putting them on etsy to see if anyone else finds the novelty amusing..

Would you buy a crocheted wine glass cover to keep the midgies out of your wine in summer? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

Online Quilting Class